OFF-ROAD EXPLORATION / ULTIMATE FLOTATION / OFF-ROAD EXPEDITION
Blackborow DS is designed for off-the-beaten-path fatbike exploration. Our thru-axle equipped 6066 aluminum Blackborow frame and Bearpaw 150 fork gets loaded up with flotation maximizing 100mm-wide Surly Clown Shoe rims and premium 4.8" folding bead Surly Lou tires. Power those fat tires with a dinglespeed drivetrain. Dinglespeed? Think double singlespeed, in this case, 30 x 18t and 26 x 22t. The larger gear is great for cruising into town for supplies, while the lower gear will come in handy on singletrack or when the conditions get truly horrific. Don't let "dinglespeed" fool you into thinking downgraded spec. Blackborow DS features the best-in-class Surly OD crankset with wider spaced bearings for better distribution of crankarm forces and longer bearing life. If Blackborow DS has you thinking soft surface beach riding, you'll appreciate the fact that the cogs, chainrings, chainring bolts and spokes are stainless steel, and that we've spec'd a KMC RustBuster chain.
|Color||Forest Service Green|
|Fork||Salsa Bearpaw, 15 x 150mm|
|Cassette||Stainless 18/22t cogs, alloy spacer kit|
|Chain||KMC Z99 Rustbuster|
|Crankset||Surly OD, 26/30t Stainless for dingle|
|Headset||Cane Creek 10 ZS44/56|
|Handlebar||Salsa Salt Flat 2, 750mm|
|Grips||Salsa Backcountry Lock-On|
|Front Brake||SRAM BB7S mtn w/ stainless hardware|
|Rear Brake||SRAM BB7S mtn w/ stainless hardware|
|Brake Lever||SRAM FR5|
|Rotors||SRAM G2, 160mm front/rear|
|Saddle||WTB Pure V Comp|
|Front Hub||Salsa Fat Conversion, 15 x 150mm|
|Rear Hub||Salsa Fat Conversion, 12 x 197mm|
|Rims||Surly Clown Shoe w/ holes|
|Tires||Surly Lou 26 x 4.8", 120tpi, folding, front and rear|
|Complete Bike Weight||31 lb 9 oz for size Medium|
* Specification and pricing subject to change without notice
- Blackborow Geometry
- Blackborow's geometry is maximized for riding on tough, unpredictable surfaces and features incredible standover clearance. Designed specifically around massive 5"-width tires on 100mm rims, Blackborow provides extreme floatation in soft conditions like snow and sand, and also offers incredible traction and stability on any surface. Blackborow also features Alternator dropouts, which increase the bike's versatility and setup options, and allows for an adjustable wheelbase
- 6066-T6 Aluminum Tubeset
- Top-shelf, double and triple-butted, heat-treated 6066 Aluminum tubing. Formed and shaped for optimized and appropriate stiffness, strength, and weight. Also offers excellent corrosion resistance
- Dropped Toptube Layout
- Seat tube lengths are increased one inch per size to facilitate a dropped toptube placement at the seat tube with a jump brace. Combined with a slightly higher bottom bracket (than Mukluk and Beargrease) this creates a bike with improved ground clearance and reduced pedal strikes when riding off-trail. This layout also results in extremely low standover heights
- Versatile Fork Compatibility
- Designed around Salsa's 51mm-offset Bearpaw and Makwa fork models. Blackborow is also fully compatible with RockShox Bluto suspension fork set at 100mm travel. This versatility covers everything from singletrack riding to multi-day snow races and beach expeditions
- 197 X 12mm Thru-Axle Rear Spacing
- Equivalent to 190mm rear quick-release spacing, the 197 x 12 thru-axle design adds convenient hub catches that make wheel removal/installation easier & tool free; creates an appropriately secure and stiff wheel connection to the frame at this extreme hub width
- Stainless Steel Dinglespeed Setup
- Double singlespeed setup with matching teeth count (26 x 22t & 30 x 18t) for quick gear change. One gear for spinning to town, one gear for taking on singletrack. Stainless chainrings, bolts, cogs, and KMC RustBuster chain for longer component life in nasty conditions
- Alternator Dropouts
- Allows wheelbase changes and chain tensioning. No disc brake adjustment needed when setting wheel position. Vertical dropout for easy wheel installation/removal. Proven in the NUE Series and in the Tour Divide. Alternator Dropouts Instructions
- Set-It-And-Forget-It Singlespeed Setup
- The Alternator dropouts swinging design and set screws offer quick setup and tensioning. Vertical wheel entry means no re-tensioning or brake adjustments are necessary after a wheel change. Slip-free and creak-free performance
- Replaceable/Serviceable Hardware
- Alternator swing plates are all replaceable, and all the bolt hardware is standard-size metric socket head cap screws (also available in a replacement kit)
- Shaped Chainstays & Seatstays
- Provide maximum heel clearance in winter boots
- PressFit 41 132mm Offset Bottom Bracket
- Designed specifically for the Surly OD Moonlander crankset, which is the only production ~76mm chainline crankset to feature widest bearing placement, thereby increasing bottom bracket durability, optimized spindle strength, and bearing life
- Direct Mount Front Derailleur Adaptor
- Problem Solvers Direct Mount Adaptor adds flexibility to drivetrain setup and clean 1x builds
- 31.6mm Seatpost
- Allows use of a dropper seatposts for getting rad, negotiating tough terrain, and facilitating dabbing, starting, and stopping in difficult conditions
- Full Length Cable Routing
- Improved performance in poor conditions
- Rear Rack Friendly
- Designed for use with the Salsa Alternator 190mm Rack
- Waterbottle Bosses
- Frame accepts 3 waterbottle cages on sizes SM - XL; 2 on size XS; Fork accepts 2 waterbottle cages via Three-Pack bosses on each fork leg
- Bearpaw 150 Fork Included
- Custom-designed, tapered, aluminum fork with 15 x 150mm thru-axle dropouts (axle included) Front-of-leg Three Pack bosses. 51mm I.S. disc brake mount
- Bluto-Compatible Front Wheel
- Stock wheel features 15 x 150mm thru-axle Salsa Fat Conversion Hub, which can be transferred directly to RockShox Bluto suspension fork
- Fork Blade Three-Pack Bosses
- Front-of-leg Three-Pack waterbottle bosses for Anything Cages or hi/low placement of waterbottle cages
|Frame||2015 Blackborow Aluminum|
|Wheelsize||26" fatbike (closer to 29" in diameter in reality)|
|Tire Clearance||Designed for 26 x 5.0" tires|
|Fork||Salsa Bearpaw 150 Fork included|
|Headset-Upper||1-1/8" Zero Stack (ZS44/28.6)|
|Headset-Lower||For Tapered: ZS56/40|
|Seat Collar||35.0mm. Salsa Lip-Lock included|
|Front Derailleur||Problem Solvers Direct Mount clamp included, High Direct Mount Front Derailleur|
|Bottom Bracket||PressFit 41 (132mm offset width)|
|Crankset||Fatbike 1x or 2x compatible; Max chainring sizes 1x (34T), 2x (36/24T)|
|Front Brake||51mm I.S., minimum rotor size 160mm, maximum rotor size 180mm|
|Rear Brake||51mm I.S., minimum rotor size 160mm, maximum rotor size 180mm|
|Front Spacing||150x15mm TA, front rotor/brake offset|
|Rear Spacing||Alternator Dropouts - Rear Thru-Axle 12 x 197mm or 190mm x 10mm QR|
|Bottle Mounts||5 per frameset (3 frame, 2 fork) for M - XL, 4 per frameset for S & XS (2 frame, 2 fork)|
|Derailleur Hanger||Replaceable Alternator plates. Driveside Geared TP=1.5 FS1374, Driveside SS TP=1.5 FS1376|
|Cable Routing||Full housing, under toptube|
|Fork Weight w/Uncut Steerer||TBD|
|Color||Forest Service Green|
|Recommended Rider Height||5'5" - 5'9"||5'2" - 5'6"||5'8" - 6'0"||5'11" - 6-3"||6'2" - UP|
|A. Toptube Effective||580mm||565mm||605mm||625mm||640mm|
|B. Seat Tube Length||406.0mm||406.0mm||457.0mm||508.0mm||559.0mm|
|C. Headtube Angle||69.5°||69.5°||69.5°||69.5°||69.5°|
|D. Seat Tube Angle||73°||73°||73°||73°||73°|
|E. BB Drop||63mm||63mm||63mm||63mm||63mm|
|F. Chainstay Length||440 - 457mm||440 - 457mm||440 - 457mm||440 - 457mm||440 - 457mm|
|G. Headtube Length||100mm||100mm||110mm||120mm||130mm|
|H. Fork Length||483mm||483mm||483mm||483mm||483mm|
|J. Fork Offset||51mm||51mm||51mm||51mm||51mm|
|K. Wheelbase||1086.8 - 1103.8mm||1071.8 - 1088.8mm||1112.4 - 1129.4mm||1133.0 - 1150.0mm||1148.7 - 1165.7mm|
Measurements based on:
- a Salsa Bearpaw fork which is equivalent to RockShox Bluto 100mm at 25% sag.
- a 26 x 4.8" tire measuring 760mm in diameter.
- standover (P) measured vertically from the top of the toptube/brace intersection
- Can I run 29-plus rims and tires on this frameset?
- Yes, you can, 29+ and 26 x 5.0" tires have very similar diameters.
- Can I run 4.0" tires on this bike?
- The frame geometry is optimized around the diameter of a 5.0" tire, but can easily accept smaller tires. Keep in mind the difference in diameter of the smaller tire will lower the bottom bracket and decrease mechanical trail slightly, effectively quickening the steering feel.
- Can I use a suspension fork on this frame?
- Yes, this frame was designed and tested for use with a suspension fork with a static axle-to-crown length up to 511mm (typically 100mm of travel). Check the fork manufacturer's specifications to ensure the model and travel combination you intend to use is equal to or less than this length. Using a longer length fork will void the frame warranty and could result in frame failure. Forks with 51mm offset are strongly recommended, but 45mm offset is also acceptable (increases mechanical trail by 6mm).
- Do you offer touch-up paint?
- No, we do not offer touch-up paint. Hobby shops or automotive stores are excellent places to find paint. We suggest you test the paint on a scrap piece of metal before using it on your frame.
- How do I take care of the Alternator dropouts?
- Periodically, we recommend that you remove the bolts, and clean the dirt and grime off the hardware and the frame surfaces. Then, lightly regrease the threaded parts and re-assemble.
- I crashed and dented (or cracked) my frame. Is it safe to ride?
- Stop riding your frame immediately and take it to the nearest Salsa-authorized dealer for inspection. A dented or cracked tube represents a structural weakening of the frame, and is a safety risk.
"On the short loop we were riding I liked how it handled through the twisties and it was confidence inspiring enough on the fast stuff that I came away from the ride thinking this was my favorite bike of the day."
-Fat-Bike.com - July 2014