ULTRA-ENDURANCE / FATBIKE RACING / SINGLETRACK
The Beargrease 2 is built on the foundation of our all-new 6066 Beargrease aluminum frame and thru-axle Makwa Carbon fork. Featuring the same geometry as the Beargrease carbon frames, the drivetrain is composed of a carefully selected mix of SRAM components. Braking needs are handled by SRAM DB5 hydraulic disc brakes for true stopping power on dirt or snow. This is a racing bike, and the wheels will not hold you back: Salsa Fat Conversion hubs are paired with Surly Marge Lite rims and premium 120 tpi 45North Dillinger 26 x 3.8" folding tires. Beargrease 2 might just be our fastest fatbike for your dollar.
|Color||Bomb Pop Blue|
|Fork||Salsa Makwa Carbon|
|Front Der||SRAM X7 HDM, 10-speed|
|Rear Der||SRAM X9 Type 2, 10-speed|
|Cassette||SRAM 1030, 10 speed, 11-36t|
|Chain||KMC X10, 10-speed|
|Headset||Cane Creek 40, ZS44/56|
|Handlebar||Salsa Salt Flat 3, 750mm|
|Grips||Salsa Backcountry Lock-on|
|Shifter||SRAM X7, 10-speed|
|Front Brake||SRAM DB5|
|Rear Brake||SRAM DB5|
|Brake Lever||SRAM DB5, included with brake|
|Rotors||SRAM Centerline, 160mm front, 140mm rear|
|Saddle||WTB Silverado Comp|
|Front Hub||Salsa Fat Conversion, 15 x 142mm|
|Rear Hub||Salsa Fat Conversion, 170mm QR|
|Spokes||Stainless, butted, black|
|Rims||Surly Marge Lite w/ holes|
|Tires||45North Dillinger 26 x 3.8", 120tpi, folding|
|Complete Bike Weight||29 lb for size Medium|
* Specification and pricing subject to change without notice
- Beargrease - Endure Geometry
- Designed as a racing fatbike with race agility. Features same geometry as Beargrease Carbon, with a compact rear end that meets the demands of even the most aggressive racer, while still maintaining the proper weight distribution and stability required for navigating varied and difficult surface conditions. Maximized standover clearance aids dabbing, stopping, and restarting in tough trail conditions
- 6066-T6 Aluminum Tubeset
- Top-shelf, double and triple-butted, heat-treated 6066 Aluminum tubing. Formed and shaped for optimized and appropriate stiffness, strength, and weight. Also offers excellent corrosion resistance
- Versatile Fork Compatibility
- Designed around Salsa's 51mm-offset Makwa and Bearpaw fork models. Beargrease is also fully compatible with RockShox Bluto suspension fork set at 100mm travel
- Tapered Headtube
- Allows use of tapered and standard 1-1/8" forks
- 170mm Quick-Release Rear Spacing
- Results in a stronger, symmetrical rear wheel while maintaining proper drivetrain alignment with ~66mm chainline cranksets which are necessary for 4"-width tire fatbikes
- Rear Tire Clearance
- Designed for 26 x 4.0" tires on 82mm rims with full drivetrain. Compatible with 29+ tires on 50mm rims with full drivetrain. Compatible with 26 x 4.0" tires on 90/100mm rims. Tires measuring an actual 4.3 - 4.6" (regardless of rim width) will fit but will require drivetrain modification. Not compatible with tires larger than 26 x 4.6"
- Shaped Chainstays & Seatstays
- Provide maximum heel clearance in winter boots
- PressFit 41 121mm Bottom Bracket
- The PressFit equivalent of a 100mm bottom bracket shell. This size is compatible with all 66mm chainline fatbike cranks (example: SRAM XX1, X9, X5, RaceFace Next SL, Turbine...). Paired with the 170mm spaced rear end this results in a drivetrain with proper alignment and performance
- Direct Mount Front Derailleur Adaptor
- Problem Solvers Direct Mount Adaptor adds flexibility to drivetrain setup and clean 1x builds
- 31.6mm Seatpost
- Allows use of a dropper seatposts for getting rad, negotiating tough terrain, and facilitating dabbing, starting, and stopping in difficult conditions
- Full Length Cable Routing
- Improved performance in poor conditions
- Waterbottle Bosses
- Frame accepts 2 waterbottle cages on sizes SM - XL
- Salsa Makwa Carbon Fork Included
- Ultra light Carbon monocoque fork. Full-carbon tapered steerer tube. Oversized fatbike-appropriate blades. 15mm thru-axle. 74mm post mount
- 142mm x 15mm Thru-Axle Fork Spacing
- Equivalent to 135mm front spacing, but with convenient hub catches that make wheel removal/installation & tool-free; Improved front end stiffness, precise handling
- Fork Tire Clearance
- 26 x 4.8" on 100mm rims. Compatible with all 26 x 4.0 - 5.0" tires and 29+ tires.
|Frame||2015 Beargrease Aluminum|
|Wheelsize||26" fatbike (closer to 29" in diameter in reality)|
|Tire Clearance||Designed for 26 x 4.0" tires|
|Fork||Salsa Makwa Carbon Fork included|
|Headset-Upper||1-1/8" Zero Stack (ZS44/28.6)|
|Headset-Lower||For Tapered: 44mm External Cup (EC44/40) For Straight: Zero Stack (ZS44/30)|
|Seat Collar||35.0mm. Salsa Lip-Lock included|
|Front Derailleur||Problem Solvers Direct Mount clamp included, High Direct Mount Front Derailleur|
|Bottom Bracket||PressFit 41 (121mm width)|
|Crankset||Fatbike 1x or 2x compatible; Max chainring sizes 1x (34T), 2x (36/24T)|
|Front Brake||51mm I.S., minimum rotor size 160mm, maximum rotor size 180mm|
|Rear Brake||51mm I.S., minimum rotor size 160mm, maximum rotor size 180mm|
|Front Spacing||142 x 15mm Thru-Axle, front rotor/brake offset|
|Rear Spacing||170 x 10mm Quick-Release|
|Bottle Mounts||2 per frameset|
|Derailleur Hanger||FS2425 or FS0100|
|Cable Routing||Full housing, under toptube|
|Fork Weight w/Uncut Steerer||730g|
|Color||Bomb Pop Blue|
|Recommended Rider Height||5'5" - 5'9"||5'8" - 6'0"||5'11" - 6-3"||6'2" - UP|
|A. Toptube Effective||580mm||605mm||625mm||640mm|
|B. Seat Tube Length||381.0mm||432.0mm||483.0mm||533.0mm|
|C. Headtube Angle||68.4°||68.4°||68.4°||68.4°|
|D. Seat Tube Angle||73°||73°||73°||73°|
|E. BB Drop||63mm||63mm||63mm||63mm|
|F. Chainstay Length||440mm||440mm||440mm||440mm|
|G. Headtube Length||100mm||110mm||120mm||130mm|
|H. Fork Length||483mm||483mm||483mm||483mm|
|J. Fork Offset||51mm||51mm||51mm||51mm|
Measurements based on:
- a Salsa Makwa fork which is equivalent to RockShox Bluto at 25% sag.
- a 26 x 4.0" tire measuring 742mm in diameter.
- standover (P) measured vertically to top of toptube from a position 50mm forward of BB center.
- Can I run 29-plus rims and tires on this frameset?
- Yes, you can, but keep in mind that the frame geometry will be affected slightly. The bottom bracket height will increase, as will the length of the fork trail.
- Can I run 5" tires on this bike?
- The fork is designed to accept up to 5" fatbike tires mounted on 100mm-width rims. The rear end of the bike is optimally designed for use with 3.8" fatbike tires mounted on 80mm rims. The rear end will accept 100mm-width rims with 3.8" tires, or 80mm rims with 4.5" tires, but this might require drivetrain modification. The frame will not accept a 5" fatbike tire.
- Can I use a suspension fork on this frame?
- Yes, this frame was designed and tested for use with a suspension fork with a static axle-to-crown length up to 511mm (typically 100mm of travel). Check the fork manufacturer's specifications to ensure the model and travel combination you intend to use is equal to or less than this length. Using a longer length fork will void the frame warranty and could result in frame failure. Forks with 51mm offset are strongly recommended, but 45mm offset is also acceptable (increases mechanical trail by 6mm).
- Do you offer touch-up paint?
- No, we do not offer touch-up paint. Hobby shops or automotive stores are excellent places to find paint. We suggest you test the paint on a scrap piece of metal before using it on your frame.
- I crashed and dented (or cracked) my frame. Is it safe to ride?
- Stop riding your frame immediately and take it to the nearest Salsa-authorized dealer for inspection. A dented or cracked tube represents a structural weakening of the frame and is a safety risk.